More Information about Tanzania
- Administrative city: Dodoma
- Commercial city: Dar-es-salaam
- Population: Approximately 38 millions
- Area: 945,000 square kilometers
- Language: Swahili and English.
- GMT +3 hours
- Tanzania lies on the East African coast between 1 and 11.45’ latitude south of the equator and between 29.20’ and 40.35’ longitudes east
Where is Tanzania?
- Situated in east Africa just south of the equator, mainland Tanzania lies between the area of the great lakes ( Victoria, Tanganyika and Malawi ) and the Indian ocean.
- Between Kenya/Uganda and Mozambique
- Coordinates : 6 degree south. 35 degree east
- Tanzania’s climate is tropical with temperature ranging between 22 degree centgrade and 30 degcentgred. December to March are the hottest months while June to August are the coolest.
- Coastal areas are usually hot and humid. There are two rainy seasons, long rains from mid march to june and short rains from November to January.
- Banks: Monday to Friday from 08:30 hours to 12:30 hours then 13:00 hours to 16:00 hours. Saturday from 08:30 hours to 11:30 hours.
- Shops: Monday to Saturday from 09:00 hours to 11:30 hours then 14:00 hours t0 17:00 hours. A few may longer opening hours and few may also be open on Sunday.
- The international country code is +255.
- Cellular telephone coverage is generally good especially near major towns and cities, public phones operate by scratch card system. Scratch card may be purchased from most small shops, internet cafes and common in towns.
- Tanzanian Shillings ( Tsh or TZS )
- Departure tax from mainland Tanzania is included in your ticket price, however in Zanzibar a departure tax of US $ 30 is payable at the airport, passangers within Tanzania are levied US $ 5.
- Visa requirements: A valid passport is necessary, three month single entry tourist visas are available at Tanzania embassies in your country.
- Malaria is top on the list of visitors worries and prevention by taking anti-malarial drug is advised.
- Vaccinations against Hepatis A polio, Typhoid and Yellow fever are essential.
- It is advisable to visit your doctor for any medication advice before your visit and take with you any special or necessary medication.
- Tanzania public holodays remain the sane every year unless otherwise advised. The holidays are as listed below:- New year: January 1, Zanzibar revolutionary Day : January 12, Union day: April 26, Workers Day: May 1, Industrial Day: July 7, Farmers day: August 8, Independence Day: December 9, Christmas day: December 25, Boxing Day: December 26.